[gmx-users] Topology files

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 28 23:31:48 CET 2012

kirtana S wrote:
> Dear Users,
>
> In the gromacs manual on means to convert the pdb file to gromacs
> topology file I need to use pdb2gmx.
> Here I have to specify the force field .How to work with organic
> residues which do not exists .
> Since I had used general amber force field, and could not find this in
> the /share/top/ directory .
> Do I need to manually construct the .itp file for each residues. What
> will be the easiest way to construct
> a solvated box with user defined residues in gromacs.

If the residue of interest will be a component of a polymeric molecule like a
protein, refer to
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field.
  If the molecule is a standalone species like a ligand, solvent, etc then all
you have to do is #include an .itp file in the system topology.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee