[gmx-users] using more processors for g_mindist

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 29 08:11:33 CET 2012

On 29/02/2012 6:01 PM, aiswarya pawar wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Right now am computing distance between each protein atom against all
> water atoms,

That's expensive. mdrun goes to great lengths to speed up computing
billions of distances.

> which is taking too long for 5ns run. i cant reduce the frames

Yes you can. Even if you think you need data from every frame, you
probably don't because they're correlated with each other, and at the
very least you can do a pilot study on a frame every 100ps or every
nanosecond before committing to one on all the frames.

> either the number of water atoms. So is there any alternate.

You are not likely to get a better solution if you only describe your
attempt, rather than describe the objective. Asking "how do I hammer
harder?" if you're hammering a screw makes it impossible to get the
correct solution "Use a screwdriver".

Mark