[gmx-users] using g_angle

francesca vitalini francesca.vitalini11 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 15:00:02 CET 2012

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your answer. What I'm trying to do is calculate the value
in degrees of  the angles listed in my index file. If my index file
looks like
[ dihedral 1 ]
2  7  9  10
[ dihedral 2 ]
10  16  18  19
then if I use the command line

g_angle -f aa.gro -s aa.tpr -n angles_prova.ndx -ov angav_prova3.xvg
-all -type dihedral
or the same with the flag -od,
what I get is an interactive menu where I have to choose the group and
if I choose one then I obtain an output file which looks like
# This file was created Wed Feb 29 14:54:55 2012
# by the following command:
# /home/cocktail/vitalini/gromacs_special/bin/g_angle -f aa.gro -s
aa.tpr -n angles_prova.ndx -od angav_prova3.xvg -all -type dihedral
#
# /home/cocktail/vitalini/gromacs_special/bin/g_angle is part of G R O M A C S:
#
# Great Red Oystrich Makes All Chemists Sane
#
@    title "Dihedral Distribution: dihedral"
@    xaxis  label "Degrees"
@    yaxis  label ""
@TYPE xy
@    subtitle "average angle: -6192.3\So\N"
      -109    0.000000
      -108    1.000000
      -107    0.000000

Which does what I'm looking for but this means that I'll need a file
for each angle. Is there a faster way to get a file that has like two
columns, one for the dihedral and another one for the angles?
Thanks
Francesca