[gmx-users] Help with non-standard residues and molecular structures

Robert Hamers rjhamers at wisc.edu
Wed Jan 4 18:33:27 CET 2012

Thanks-- that clarifies a lot.  I hadn't quite realized how much is
assumed about the residue terminii.  It seems like I was trying to fit a
square peg into a round hole.   I'm going to re-think this and maybe
take a different approach just based on using HETATMs and not trying to
define a separate residue.

The pdb file specification for HETATM still requires a "residue name".
I've found that using "LIG" seems to work. Any reason I shouldn't just
continue using that, and define my molecule using HETATMs ?

Thanks again for your help!
Bob Hamers

For something like what I'm trying to do, where I"m using a pdb file
that does not represent a protein, is

--
Robert J. Hamers
Wisconsin Distinguished Professor