[gmx-users] Removing Water Molecules

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jan 6 16:48:16 CET 2012

Steven Neumann wrote:
> Dear Gmx Users,
>
> I am setting up the simulation of a protein attached to the half of
> a nanotube. I set up my system and formed my box and solvated it in
> TIP3P water. Water molecules obviously were also placed below the part
> of a nanotube where I do not want them to be. Is there any command which
> will solvate my system below the surface of the nanotube? Or maybe is
> there any command or a software that will allow me to remove those
> unwanted water molecules? I have aroun 26000 water molecules in my
> system and around 5000 below my nanoutube so with editor it could take
> ages. Any suggestions?

You can use g_select to use geometric criteria, i.e. coordinate value > some
number such that only water molecules above a certain point are kept.  Then use
trjconv with the index file g_select gives you and you have your cleaned up system.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee