[gmx-users] q question related to gromacsinstallation by cygwin

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 10 09:41:07 CET 2012

On 10/01/2012 5:45 PM, Dialing Pretty wrote:
> Dear Mark,
> If "--disable-threads ", how it will influence the function of GROMACS?

By preventing you from running mdrun with a separate execution thread in
parallel on each physical processor that your machine has. If you need
parallel functionality, compile with MPI enabled.

> Secondly, for the webpage you introduced to me
> "http://www.gromacs.org/Downloads/Installation_Instructions/Cygwin_HOWTO",
> "Edit your login files to source /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC (or
> manually add /usr/local/gromacs/man to the MANPATH and check that
> /usr/local/bin is in the PATH)" is a little difficult to me. What is
> "GMXRC"? What is the login files? How to find the MANPATH? How do I
> know whther  /usr/local/bin is in the PATH is in the path? How can
> source /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC?

That page contains the strongly-worded advice to check the normal
GROMACS installation instructions, which has a fuller discussion of this
"getting access to GROMACS" issue. Please search the web for tutorials
and discussion of how UNIX PATH environment variables function.

Mark