[gmx-users] REMD error

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 12 07:53:08 CET 2012

On 12/01/2012 5:45 PM, bharat gupta wrote:
> It says that "The number of cores must be a multiple of the number of
> replicas (given with |-multi|, which must equal the number of .tpr
> <http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/Topology_%28.tpr%29_File>
> files i.e., 10 for the above general example using |prefix_0.tpr|
> through |prefix_9.tpr|)"
>
> I gave the options -multi 5 . But still I am getting the same error.
> Can you please explain, why is it so. Do I need to have the same no.
> of cores as the no. of .tpr files ??

You can't be getting an identical error, the numbers are different now.

If mdrun is reporting the number of nodes is 1, then you have not
configured your MPI environment correctly so that it knows how many
processors you have available. You will need to solve this by reading
your MPI documentation.

If you have only four processors, you will not be able to run efficient
REMD on five replicas, even if you can work out how to get MPI to
over-allocate MPI processes to your physical processors.

Please copy and paste command line and error together, so that people
who might help don't feel like they might be wasting their time
guessing. They have other things to do. Your example input below did not
produce your error below, because 20 != 3.

Mark