[gmx-users] About g_traj, plotting displacement

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jan 16 14:18:53 CET 2012

Kiwoong Kim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to plot the displacements in z-coordinate of each particle
> belonging to some index group using g_traj.
>
> I typed below thing in prompt
>
> g_traj -f md_0_2_nvt.xtc -s md_0_2_nvt.tpr -n index_traj.ndx -nox -noy
> -b 0 -e 50 -ox traj -w -xvg xmgrace
>
> There are 6 atoms in the desired index group.
>
> Although I selected the desired index group (let assume it is 1, 2, 3,
> 4, 5, 6 labelled) atoms, the g_traj only plots the displacement of first
> atom in index group (i.e., the displacement of atom 1 but not 2, 3, 4,
> 5, 6).
>
> I want to plot the displacements of all atoms (1 - 6).
>
> How do I have to do???
>
> What things is incorrect?

Likely the manner in which the data sets were plotted.  Use a text editor to
confirm that there are 6 data sets in traj.xvg, then if you find what you expect:

xmgrace -nxy traj.xvg

Otherwise, there may be some problem such that only 1 data set is produced, but
I have never seen that happen.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar