[gmx-users] Problem with Position Restraints (before running SMD)!

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jan 19 21:44:29 CET 2012

Talal E. AlOtaibi wrote:
> Thank you so much Justin,
>
> I made some changes and the SMD run was fine with no errors but I
> still have the same problem (the fixed points moved away from their
> original position).

How great is the displacement?  Recall what I said before - position restraints
are simply a bias against change, they do not prevent the change in position.
If your pulling force is stronger than the restraining force, motion occurs and
Newton was right ;)

I mentioned two possible fixes before.  If the displacement is unacceptably
large, try those suggestions.

> I made index file for the atoms that i want to fix. Then, I use
> 'genrestr' to generate 'posre.itp' file that contains the
> [position_restraints] points. After that, I add the following to the
> Topology file:
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posre.itp"
> #endif
>
> Then, I run my SMD simulation. But, I get the same problem. Could you
> please tell me what is my problem. I really try to do my best.
> BTW, I didn't find any example in wiki that could help me to run SMD
> simulation that contains both fix points and points under load.

There is no such example.  I was pointing you to the proper method for
#including position restraints directives in a complex topology.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Atom_index_n_in_position_restraints_out_of_bounds

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate