[gmx-users] Model N2 molecules

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jan 20 14:19:18 CET 2012

On 21/01/2012 12:04 AM, Kiwoong Kim wrote:

> Hi,

Please do keep the discussion on the list, so others can learn and
contribute now and from the archives.

> I don't know how to model N2 molecule yet.
>
> If I use virtual site for N2 model, then, this can be done like below.
>
> Hence, where do I have to apply plus charge for making N2 neutral??
>
> Can it be D1 and D2 for plus charge??

Why are you creating two dummy atoms? Your earlier post implied two
negatively charged N atoms and a single (axial) positively-charged
massless dummy atom would be an adequate model. The two N atoms have a
bond or constraint between them, and the dummy atom is a type 2 virtual
site half-way between them. IIRC this should be the same for linear
rigid CO2, except that there the central particle has mass and charge.

Mark