[gmx-users] Re: Free Energy tutorial - choosing number of solvent molecules

Fabian Casteblanco fabian.casteblanco at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 17:41:40 CET 2012

Hello Justin,

I am running 2,000,000 time steps for the actual MD run (4,000 ps).
Depending on how many solvent molecules I start with, I get slightly
different results.  Do you think its ok to run several different tests
and take the average?  Or perhaps take the end results of a shorter MD
run and use those as the starting coordinates for a new run?

Thanks,
Fabian

Fabian Casteblanco wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm running the same process from the free energy tutorial by Justin
> Lemkul...http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/free_energy/index.html.
>
> How did the number of solvent particles get chosen (in the tutorial, 210
> molecules were chosen)?   I seem to be getting slightly different

If memory serves, I reproduced what was in the original paper, but do check.

> results (ranging from as small as 200 J/mol to about 5 kJ/mol depending
> on how many molecules I choose (ranging for example from 210 ethanol
> molecules to about 610 ethanol molecules for the largest energy
> difference change of about 5 kJ).   I keep running tests to see if there
> is some sort of minimum atom number to get steady consistent numbers but
> I can't seem to find it.  When I plot for example the bar.xvg &
> barint.xvg for both sets to see where the lines don't match up, its
> usually one or two points that differ slightly which cause the free
> energies in the end to be slightly different.    I seem to be noticing
> too that the more atoms I use, the free energy gets a little bit lower.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this?

How long are your simulations?  I have experienced the case (using a
water-octanol solvent mixture) where the initial configuration made a big
difference in the result, so longer simulations and multiple configurations for
the solvent were necessary to get reliable averages.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee