[gmx-users] Dihedral potential with chirality

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 31 06:01:33 CET 2012

On 31/01/2012 2:59 PM, Li SUN wrote:
> So please look at the attached figure which is exactly the leftmost
> subfigure of Figure 4.8 from manual. Given one plane defined by
> (j,k,l), the cases where <case1> i is above the plane and <case2>
> below the plane can give the same dihedral angles.

Only if they are measured in a unsigned fashion.

> But chirality can distinguish the two cases: define chirality = ( (lk)
> x (kj) ) . (ji), then chirality is positive for <case1> and negative
> for <case2>. Am I right?

During the flipping process, the energy/force from the dihedral
restraint potential will increase because the angle deviates from the
programmed one. This will act to prevent flipping occurring without
needing to trouble with computing a signed dihedral angle. If you pull
too hard, then the restraint has insufficient effect. Choose wisely.

Mark