[gmx-users] mdrun on GROMACS 3.3.1

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 31 14:33:40 CET 2012

Francesca Vitalini wrote:
> Actually the directory is of my own and I have created it in my home directory so that shouldn't be a problem as I also have created other files in the same directory without any problems so far.
> Other ideas?
> Thanks
> Francesca
>

> Il giorno 31/gen/2012, alle ore 13.02, Justin A. Lemkul ha scritto:
>

>> francesca vitalini wrote:
>>> Hallo GROMACS users!
>>> I'm trying to run a simple md script after running an energy minimization script on my system and I'm getting a wired error message
>>> Reading file dynamin_dimer_PR1.tpr, VERSION 3.3.1 (single precision)
>>> Loaded with Money
>>> Program mdrun, VERSION 3.3.1
>>> Source code file: gmxfio.c, line: 706
>>> Can not open file:
>>> coarse.xtc
>>> it is strange as the coarse.xtc file should be created by running the mdrun command.
>> Sounds to me like you don't have permission to write in the working directory.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>>> that is my submition command line
>>> $MYGROMACSPATH/bin/mdrun -v  -s dynamin_dimer_PR1.tpr  -o dynamin_dimer_PR1.trr  -cpo dynamin_dimer_PR1.cpt -c dynamin_dimer_PR1.gro
>>> the .tpr file had been previously created by grompp

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but I just noticed it.  If you're
using version 3.3.1, the -cpo option doesn't exist.  mdrun won't exit with a
fatal error in this case, but you still shouldn't be using it.

Aside from that, I would suggest you use a more modern version of Gromacs
(4.5.5) rather than one that is certifiably ancient.  There may well have been
some bug that was fixed 6 years ago that no one even remembers ;)

>>> $MYGROMACSPATH/bin/grompp -v -f pr1.mdp -c dynamin_dimer_EM_solvated.gro -p dynamin_dimer_fg.top -o dynamin_dimer_PR1.tpr
>>> and the .mdp file I'm using is

The .mdp file contains a number of redundancies, which should have caused grompp
to fail.  Also probably irrelevant, but worth noting.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar