[gmx-users] change in rename of 1POPC to 1LIG though coordinate and atom same in 1LIG of 1POPC, during solvation of system

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 6 12:08:55 CEST 2012

On 6/6/12 3:09 AM, Sangita Kachhap wrote:

> Hello all
> I have to do MD simulation of membrane protein having docked ligand in POPC
> lipid bilayer.
> I am geeting error during solvation of system:
> Resname of 1POPC in system_shrink1.gro converted into 1LIG
>

> I have done following:
>
> GROMACS COMMAND
>
> 1) Generate topol.top using GROMOS96 53A6 parameter set
> pdb2gmx -f 3gd8-mod.pdb -o 3gd8-mod-processed.gro -water spc
>

> at prompt select 14
>
> 2) Download:
>      * popc128.pdb - the structure of a 128-lipid POPC bilayer
>      * popc.itp - the moleculetype definition for POPC
>      * lipid.itp - Berger lipid parameters
>
> from http://moose.bio.ucalgary.ca/index.php?page=Structures_and_Topologies
>
> 3) Modify topol.top with:
> #include "gromos53a6.ff/forcefield.itp"
>
> to:
>
> #include "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/forcefield.itp"
>

>                  &
>
> ; Include Position restraint file
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posre.itp"
> #endif
> ; Include ligand topology
> #include "ligand-full.itp"
>
> ; Include POPC chain topology
> #include "popc.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "gromos53a6_lipid.ff/spc.itp"
>
> and at the end add LIG  1 in [molecules]
>
> 4) cp files
> aminoacids.rtp
> aminoacids.hdb
> aminoacids.c.tdb
> aminoacids.n.tdb
> aminoacids.r2b
> aminoacids.vsd
> ff_dum.itp
> ffnonbonded.itp
> ffbonded.itp
> forcefield.itp
> ions.itp
> spc.itp
> watermodels.dat
>
> from gromacs top to directory named gromos53a6_lipid.ff in working directory.
> Append parameter ([ atomtypes ], [ nonbond_params ], and [ pairtypes ])from
> lipid.itp to ffnonbonded.itp&  ffbonded.itp and create a forcefield.doc file
> that contains a description of the force field parameters contain "GROMOS96 53A6
> force field, extended to include Berger lipid parameters".
> Delete line ";; parameters for lipid-GROMOS interactions." and its subsequent
> line, change HW as H of [ nonbond_params ]
>

> 5) Generate .tpr for POPC
> grompp -f minim.mdp -c popc128a.pdb -p topol_popc.top -o em.tpr -maxwarn 1
> (change OW1, HW2, HW3 to OW, HW and HW2 respectively)
>

> 6) Remove periodicity
> trjconv -s em.tpr -f popc128a.pdb -o popc128a_whole.gro -pbc mol -ur compact
> (at command prompt select 0)
>

> 7) Oriant the protein within the same coordinate as written in end of
> popc128a_whole.gro
> editconf -f 3gd8-mod-processed.gro -o 3gd8-mod-processe_newbox.gro -c -box
> 6.23910 6.17970 6.91950
>

> 8) Pack lipid around protein
> [...]

Based on the description, you say in step (3) that you add "LIG 1" to the end of
[molecules], but then in (12) you give the order as protein, ligand, then POPC.
  The order of the coordinate file and [molecules] must match, otherwise funny
things happen.  If you have protein, ligand, and POPC, you must list the
moleculetype names in that order in [molecules].

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080