[gmx-users] Scaling/performance on Gromacs 4

Manu Vajpai manuvajpai at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 13:19:08 CEST 2012

Apologies for reviving such an old thread. For clarifications, interlagos
and bulldozer both have a modular architecture, as mentioned earlier. Each
bulldozer module has 2 integer cores and one floating point unit shared
between the two cores. So, although you have 64 cores (counting integer
cores) reported by the os, the number of floating point units is still 32.
Moreover, each FP unit can process two threads when it is possible, but
since gromacs is so compute intensive I am guessing it is saturated by just
one. Hence you are not observing  a scale-up by moving from 32 to 64
threads.

Regards,
Manu Vajpai
IIT Kanpur