[gmx-users] energy conservation: shift vs shifted user potential

Anja Kuhnhold anja.kuhnhold at physik.uni-halle.de
Wed Jun 6 15:07:40 CEST 2012

Dear gmx-users,

I have a problem concerning energy conservation when using user potentials (tables).
I'm using gromacs 4.5.4
I simulate a simple Lennard-Jones(6-12) +Fene polymer melt (1600 chains a 10 beads in a 26x26x26 periodic box).

I tried different vdwtypes (cutoff always 3.24):
The cut-off version does not conserve energy -- okay.
The shift and switch versions conserve energy -- fine.

Now I wanted to do the same with user tables:
Simple Lennard-Jones table gives really the same results as the cut-off version -- good.

But if I use a table with shifted Lennard-Jones potential it is not comparable to the shift version
and the energy is not conserved -- ?

I use a shift function as written in the manual (chapter 4.1.5) -- there must be a factor alpha added in the constants A and B --
(r1=0).

The parameters are the same for shift version and shifted user version.

Has someone an idea why the shifted user potential doesn't work in this way?

Here is the mdp:

integrator		= md-vv
dt			= 0.0035
nsteps			= 1000