[gmx-users] GPU crashes

lloyd riggs lloyd.riggs at gmx.ch
Thu Jun 7 09:57:38 CEST 2012

Did you play with the time step?  Just currious, but I woundered what happened with 0.0008, 0.0005, 0.0002.  I found if I had a good behaving protein, as soon as I added a small (non-protein) molecule which rotated wildly while attached to the protein, it would crash unless I reduced the time step to the above when constraints were removed after EQ ... always it seemed to me it didnt like the rotation or bond angles, seeing them as a violation but acted like it was an amino acid? (the same bond type but with wider rotation as one end wasnt fixed to a chain)  If your loop moves via backbone, the calculated angles, bonds or whatever might appear to the computer to be violating the parameter settings for problems, errors, etc as it cant track them fast enough over the time step. Ie atom 1-2-3 and then delta 1-2-3 with xyz parameters, but then the particular set has additional rotation, etc and may include the chain atoms which bend wildly (n-Ca-Cb-Cg maybe a dihedral) but probab
 ly not this.

Just a thought but probably not the right answere as well, it might be the way it is broken down (above) over GPUs, which convert everything to matricies (non-standard just for basic math operations not real matricies per say) for exicution and then some library problem which would not account for long range rapid (0.0005) movements at the chain (Ca,N,O to something else) and then tries to apply these to Cb-Cg-O-H, etc using the initial points while looking at the parameters for say a single amino acid...Maybe the constraints would cause this, which would make it a pain to EQ, but this allowed me to increase the time step, but would ruin the experiment I had worked on as I needed it unconstrained to show it didnt float away when proteins were pulled, etc...I was using a different integrator though...just normal MD.

ANd your cutoffs for vdw, etc...Why are they 0?  I dont know if this means a defautl set is then used...but if not ?  Wouldnt they try integrating using both types of formula, or would it be just using coulumb or vice versa? (dont know what that would do to the code but assume it means no vdw, and all coulumb but then zeros are alwyas a problem for computers).

Thats my thoughts on that.  Probably something else though.

Good luck,

Stephan

-------- Original-Nachricht --------