[gmx-users] qmmm and "real-life" meaning of null lennard-jones parameters

Javier Cerezo jcb1 at um.es
Fri Jun 8 16:47:20 CEST 2012

The system in you topology must be complete even for QMMM, so you'll
need FF parameters also for the QM part.

Partition models for QM/MM work with the following energy decomposition:
E(total) = E(QM_system) + E(MM_system) + E(QM-MM interaction)

E(QM_system) and E(MM_system) are easy to define (computed at QM and MM
levels respectively), but E(QM-MM interaction) is a bit more involved.
One way to account for this interaction energy is through the ONIOM (and
the like) partition scheme:
E(total) = E(QM_system at QM level) + E(whole_system at MM level) -
E(QM_system at MM level)

So, you need to evaluate the whole system at MM level and that's why you
need a force field for this part as well. Anyway, I think that for the
QM_system tretaed at MM level only nonbonded interactions mater, since
bonded interactions (that are not involved with the boundaries) are
cancelled out when performing this subtraction: E(whole_system at MM level)
- E(QM_system at MM level). For that reason, I think that bonded parameters
that are not present in the boundaries, are not relevant and could be
omitted in the topology.

Javier

--
Javier CEREZO BASTIDA