[gmx-users] vsite as interaction site for COM of benzene

Broadbent, Richard richard.broadbent09 at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Jun 9 00:35:46 CEST 2012

Dear Thomas,

Whilst in principle a constraint should do what you are asking, you might be
better off using multiple vsites to solve the problem so that there is an
algebraic as apposed to numerical mapping of the forces. My immediate
thought is to use two type 3 (or if necessary type 3fd) virtual sites to
define two points near the centre of the benzene. You could then place your
tabulated potential on a type 2 virtual site between these two. I believe
that should algebraically link all the atomic sites together making the
process more stable and it should be quite easy to transfer it to other
systems.

On a separate note why if you are coarse graining the benzenes to a single
point particle are you then maintaining all the atoms? Could you go a stage
further and map the atoms onto 3 non interacting point masses? That would
maintain angular momentum etc. whilst reducing the computational overhead.
Although it becomes very complex to implement if your benzene's are in the
backbone of a polymer.

Hope that helps,

Richard