[gmx-users] mdrun_mpi segmentation fault for run in vacuum

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 12 13:58:36 CEST 2012

On 6/12/12 7:46 AM, reisingere at rostlab.informatik.tu-muenchen.de wrote:

>>> but how does the minimization "know" that it should be in vacuum.
>>
>> There's nothing particularly special about running in vacuum except that
>> there
>> is no solvent.  Infinite cutoffs and a nonperiodic simulation cell are
>> common
>> conventions for simulating in vacuum, so that's what the .mdp file above
>> does.
>
> okey, thanks a lot!!
> But when I want to do a whole md run after this minimization my first .mdp
> file was correct, right?

For running in implicit solvent, that .mdp file has a number of problems.

By restraining the protein, you don't really accomplish anything.  Also note
that for using implicit solvent, you generally need infinite cutoffs (like in
the case of the "vacuum" .mdp file I posted before) and no pressure coupling.  I
have found that with finite cutoffs, energy conservation is poor and structures
are unstable when using implicit solvent.

There are a number of useful discussions in the list archive about such
considerations; I would encourage you to spend some time reading before diving
headfirst into something that may not turn out well.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080