[gmx-users] analysing of the long trajectories

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 15 09:27:32 CEST 2012

On 15/06/2012 3:50 PM, James Starlight wrote:
> Hi Tsjerk !
>
> I my case I want to compare large-scale dynamics with more local
> events like fluctuation of the individual side chains so I suppose
> that I need larger number of frames. But how exactly I could define
> this number for my 100ns trajectory? Commoly I've used 5000 value for
> all nst* options in MDP file but that produce trajectories with ~
> 10.000 frames for 100ns. If I increase this values  from 5000 to 10000
> could I see dynamics on the level of the individual side-chains ? (
> e.g occurence of salt-bridges or rotamer isomerisation of the polar
> side chains during my 100ns trajectory ).

nst* are numbers of steps between events. If you want finer time
resolution to see events on short time scales, you need *smaller* values
for these, and talking about the number of steps is meaningless unless
you state the size of the time step. See
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Reducing_Trajectory_Storage_Volume
for some advice here.

Mark