[gmx-users] multi-chain pdbs with mdrun?

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Jun 15 09:34:39 CEST 2012

15 jun 2012 kl. 09.16 skrev Mark Abraham:

> On 15/06/2012 5:06 PM, Samuel Flores wrote:
>>
>> HI Guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to run a short equilibration of p56 tetramer in water.  I issue:
>>
>> /home/flores/local/gromacs/bin/mdrun -v -deffnm em -c  /home/flores/projects/antibody-design/13JUN12/352/last.2.em.pdb
>>
>> The problem is that last.2.em.pdb has four chains, but none have chain ID's!  The file I start with has chains A,B,C, and D, but gromacs seems to strip these and replace them all with " ".
>>
>> Is there any easy way to prevent the chain ID's from being lost?  Or do I need to write a script to put them back in?
>>

> IIRC there has been list traffic about this in the past, if you search. Certainly grompp doesn't bother trying to retain chain IDs. editconf allows you to add chain IDs afterwards, but I have no idea if it lets you do it on a per-group basis. Another option might be taking the final frame in the trajectory and using it (-f) and your original .pdb file (-s) as input to trjconv to write a .pdb file, but I don't know if that works.

It seems that some tools honor the chain IDs while some do not. I think trjconv is one of them, so Mark's suggestion would work in that caase. If not, then a combination of cut -b and paste on your new and old pdb would fix your problem.

Normally this is not a problem for simulation, but for quick visualization and inspection it's annoying.

Erik

> Mark

Erik Marklund, PhD
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 6688        fax: +46 18 511 755
erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
http://www2.icm.uu.se/molbio/elflab/index.html