[gmx-users] simulating dimer proteins

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Jun 16 09:43:10 CEST 2012

On 16/06/2012 5:03 PM, delara aghaie wrote:
> Dear Mark
> Many thanks for your response.
>
> Now A question:
> I have read multiple chains section in gromacs website. It says take a
> structure file with single chain and use pdb2gmx on it. In the
> resulting .top file at the end of file, we see
> {molecule}
> protein
> we should change the protein number to the number of identical chains.
> and then submit this .top with the coordinate file containing the same
> number of chains as mentioned in .top file: (((I have the pdf format
> of structure for 2 chains, How can I get the .gro file for them?

You don't need a .gro file:
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/Coordinate_File#section_1.
You need a coordinate file that matches the contents of the .top file.
Whether that is easy depends what you did with pdb2gmx.

> as I have done pdb2gmax on a single chain, I do not have a .gro file
> containing 2 chains. Should I separately do pdb2gmax on this .top file
> to get .gro containing 2 chains?))))
>
> --------------------
> As a test, Once I did pdb2gmx on a source pdb file of 1RFB. As a
> result I have .gro file which has putted the aminoacides of the second
> chain after the first chain without separating them. (This does not
> show the protein as two separate chains !! ). Also it gives .top files
> separately for each chain. Are these results correct??

See pdb2gmx -h for how to do chain management - but if you can run
pdb2gmx on your multi-chain coordinate file, then you don't need to get
involved with the contents of
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Multiple_Chains

Mark