[gmx-users] segmentation fault-g_spatial

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 28 18:56:36 CEST 2012

Dear D.M.

I wrote g_spatial and Justin is correct that you simply need to use a larger number for -nab.

It's not a "bug" per se, it is simply that I didn't write the program to do two loops through
the input trajectory (one to determine the required bins and then allocate memory and
then another loop to count the values). So it is just quick and dirty coding, but when -nab is
sufficiently large it will not be wrong.

Here is what happens: let's say that you have a cubic box. You then use trjconv to do a
fitting in which you rotate the box differently in different frames. Now the length of the
new x-axis in a frame could be the length of the diagonal of your box, which is substantially
longer. This is why you need to ask the program to allocate memory for additional bins
(which will be written out to your cube file, making it larger, so you don't want to set -nab
too much larger than is necessary). Pressure coupling also influences this, but not as much.

Note that if you make your bins half as large (for higher resolution) then you will need to
double the value that you provide to -nab.

I usually use -nab 50. You may need a larger value if you use smaller bins or a very rectangular
system which you rotate before running through g_spatial. You may also have to use very large
values of -nab if you do a fitting on a system  where your central group is not centered (use the
suggested trjconv preparation listed in g_spatial -h).

Finally, if you are using incredibly small bin sizes, then you might really be running into an
out-of-memory condition, although that should not result in a segfault as the program should
exit cleanly if it can not allocate the required memory.

Chris.