[gmx-users] Is TRO defined correctly in the ffG43a1p forcefield file?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Mar 4 23:16:10 CET 2012

Kirill Bessonov wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to run simulation with phosphorylated Threonine (TRO) and I
> found lot's of info about this issue reading previous posts which
> explained on how to patch the force-field files and define this modified
> amino acid. After looking at the community forcefield offered
> here http://www.gromacs.org/Downloads/User_contributions/Force_fields
>
> After exploring those files what calls my attention is that in the *.hdb
> file that describes which atoms are protonated is seems to have an issue
> that I wanted to double-check with the rest of the members. It seems to
> me that  the CH3 group is not protonated in the phosphotyrosine (TRO) as
> shown below
>
> Extracted from *.hdp file
> THR     2
> 1 1 H N -C CA
> 1 2 HG1 OG1 CB CA
>
> TPO     1
> 1       1       H       N       -C      CA
> ...but where is the 2nd line???
>
> Why THR has 2 lines why the TRO having the PO3 group has only one line?
> Can somebody explain this?

There is only one polar H in TPO.  Read the .rtp entry for TPO - it states that
it is the -2 form of the phosphorylated residue.  The HG1 atom connected to OG1
is removed with the formation of a phosphoester in the modified sidechain.  TPOH
is the -1 form of the phosphate and thus there is a proton on the phosphate group.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee