[gmx-users] Simple LJ system

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 5 14:08:52 CET 2012

Jeff Armstrong wrote:
> I have literally just started using gromacs and hopefully have a pretty
> straight forward question. Firstly I am interested in simulating a
> binary Lennard-jones system with arbitrary choices of parameters (i.e. I
> may choose the epsilon and sigma). If someone could summarise what
> ingredients I would need for this it would be greatly appreciated. My
> current understanding of topology files and .itp files is fairly limited
> so a comprehensive reply will be very much appreciated.

You can follow a similar force field structure like any of the ones that already
exist in Gromacs, except that you don't need any bonded parameters.  You need a
[defaults] directive to define interaction types, [atomtypes] to define the
nonbonded parameters of your species, and then you can proceed to the
[moleculetype] and [atoms] levels.  All of this can be done within a unified
.top, or you can create your own custom force field that can be #included within
other topologies, making your own forcefield.itp (to have the [defaults] and any
necessary #include statements) and ffnonbonded.itp for the [atomtypes].

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee