[gmx-users] Re: questions about Principal Component Analysis

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:44:59 CET 2012

Hi Thomas,

Whether or not it makes sense to do PCA on the domain only depends on
the question you ask. It may well make sense if you aim at
characterizing the intra-domain motions. But be aware that you will
view those motions within the context of the rest of the protein. It
is quite likely that the internal motions depend on the interaction
with the surroundings.

Concerning the cosine content, there indeed seems to ba a transition.
But that is already evident from your RMSD plot. A lot of stuff is
still happening in the second half of the simulation. To see if the
last part of your simulation is in a (local) equilibrium, you can
calculate the average structure from that part, say the alst 10 or 20
ns, and determine the RMSD against the average. The RMSD should then
decrease towards the average and level off or oscillate around it to
assure you've reached some sort of equilibrium. On the basis of that
you could then decide whether it's worthwhile performing PCA on that
part only.

Cheers,

Tsjerk