[gmx-users] Generation of the Distance Restraints

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Mar 12 15:38:27 CET 2012

James Starlight wrote:
> Francesca,
>
> Yes I suppose this is good aproach for the generation of position
> restricktions on the desired atoms. But I want to restrain the distance
> between selected pairs of atoms ( e.g between C-alpha- C-alpha atoms of
> two different residues).

How many restraints do you need to create?  If they are this simple, you can
write them yourself using a text editor in conjunction with manual section
4.3.4.  Using genrestr is only really helpful when you require a network of
distance restraints between the atoms of a given group.  If there are only a few
to create, it's actually more work to use make_ndx and genrestr than it is to
fire up your favorite text editor.

> Also I want to restrain some dihedral angles in the desired rotameric forms.

See manual section 4.3.3 and
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Dihedral_Restraints.

> In literature I've found that peple have dome the same things in Gromacs
> but I could not find detailed algorithm of such methodology :(

All relevant equations are provided in the manual, and examples are provided
either there or on the Gromacs site.  If you need further information, ask a
specific question related to what you can't find or don't understand.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee