[gmx-users] resolution of cygwin installation issues

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 05:38:44 CET 2012

Hi,

After all the recent trouble with people attempting to install on Cygwin
with autoconf, I went and tried it myself. I knew GROMACS 4.5.5 built
with CMake on Cygwin.

It turns out the default installation of FFTW uses static libraries, and
with the default configuration of GROMACS the linker has trouble with
that. In the very long make output of GROMACS it warns

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
/usr/local/lib/libfftw3f.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

before going on to report failure to link to a bunch of symbols in the
FFTW library. If those who'd been having trouble had reported this, then
they'd have had a quicker solution :)

With default FFTW installed in the default location (/usr/local,
configured with "./configure --enable-sse --enable-float"), I succeeded
in building GROMACS on a new installation of Cygwin with

./configure --disable-threads CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib --enable-all-static --without-xml
make

I experimented a bit with trying to get shared libraries to work, but
didn't succeed. Too bad. I have updated
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Installation_Instructions/Cygwin_HOWTO.
Hope this is useful.