[gmx-users] problem in oplsaa ffbonded.itp

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 21 12:24:52 CET 2012

On 21/03/2012 10:17 PM, francesco oteri wrote:
> OK,
> but for some AMBER dihedral the same goal has been obtained using an X
> for i and l atoms,
> like:
> X       FE      SS      X       9       0.00    0.0     4
>
> Why the same approach wasn't used for OPLSAA?

Assuming Justin's right, then either approach could have been used. The
.itp file parsing works by finding which of a large number of scanf
strings match a given line, so having two ways to do the same thing is
no big deal. You could argue that not needing to recognise later that X
means "any atom type" is more efficient, and also that the more terse
description is less clear to the user. Life == trade-offs :)

Mark