[gmx-users] grompp is adding a bond in my model that should not be there

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Mar 26 08:36:09 CEST 2012

On 26/03/2012 4:13 PM, Jackson Chief wrote:
> The missing residues correspond to a loop that connects two alpha
> helices.  The C-terminal end of one helix, and N-terminal end of the
> other helix contain a random coil.  After energy minimization, the
> coils are extended in space and not connected.  I visualized this by
> looking at the .gro file in VMD.  After 5ns of unrestrained MD, the
> two coils are clearly connected by looking at the output .gro file in
> VMD.  Weird.

The bonds you see are guessed by VMD from the coordinates. They have
only fortuitous correlation with your system topology as constructed by
pdb2gmx... which brings us back to you describing how you are treating
the gap.

The MD is apparently bringing the two "termini" close together, which is
likely in response to a bonded interaction between them that you set up
with your usage of pdb2gmx. If so, then it will have issued a warning
about it...

Mark