[gmx-users] Re: How to add dihedral information from the GAFF topology

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 28 14:54:35 CEST 2012

bipin singh wrote:
> Thanks again

For the record, I didn't ask that you send me your files so I could troubleshoot
for you.  Luckily for you I'm in a charitable mood this morning, so I took a look ;)

Your problem is that you have a [molecules] directive in oct.itp.  Please refer
to the documentation for the difference between a .top topology and a .itp topology:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/.itp_File

The presence of this [molecules] directive tells grompp that the first thing it
should expect is a block of octanol, when in fact your coordinate file has the
protein first (starting with Ser-Leu, as I suspected).  You then have "1-octanol
1" in your topol.top, which says you're including another random octanol
molecule somewhere later.

You need a single [molecules] directive in the .top, which must match the order
of the coordinate file.  Once you've got that, things should work fine.

-Justin