[gmx-users] 200 CPU, 3ns/day for 80,000 atoms !!!!

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 28 17:44:59 CEST 2012

Albert wrote:
> Dear:
>
>   I am using gromacs for membrane simulation (under CHARMM36 FF) which
> contains around 80,000 atoms. I've submitted over 200 CPU in the cluster
> for such system with 2 fs time step. And what really astonished is that
> the efficiency for such simulation is only 3ns/day..... I am wondering
> what happen to my system or gromacs? What can I do to fasten the simulation?

Use fewer processors.  You cannot necessarily assign a given system to an
arbitrary number of processors and expect linear performance increase with the
number of CPUs.  At some point, the communication overhead exceeds any speedup
that might be obtained from using more CPUs.  For 80k atoms, I would try some
benchmarks in the 64-96 CPU range to see how your performance is.  My rule of
thumb is ~1000 atoms per CPU.  There are considerations for PP:PME node ratio
when using DD, which also depend on the box type (see the Gromacs 4 paper and
the manual for more details on such details).

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar