[gmx-users] deformations aplying an electric field

Rebeca García Fandiño regafan at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:08:27 CEST 2012

Hi,
I am trying to simulate a nanotube inserted into a lipid bilayer using Gromacs 4, applying an external electric field (in the direction of the z axis).
I have added this line to my input file:
;Electric field
E_z             = 1  1.0  0

The calculations finish without problem, however I can see a big deformation both of the nanotube and also of the membrane. Is this normal? When I use a smaller electric field:
E_z             = 1  0.01  0

I cannot see these deformations.

Is it usual to find deformations using high electric fields such as 1V?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best wishes,

Dr. Rebeca Garcia
Santiago de Compostela University