[gmx-users] About cutt-off scheme ..

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 29 15:40:48 CEST 2012

rama david wrote:
> Hi Gromacs friends,
>   Thank you justin for your explaination ..
>
> It is, however, common to compromise
> in this respect, and make the solvent layer somewhat smaller in order to
> reduce the computational
> cost. For efficiency reasons the cut-off with triclinic boxes is more
> restricted. For grid search the
> extra restriction is weak:
>
> Rc < min(ax; by; cz) (3.5)
>
> For simple search the extra restriction is stronger:
>
> Rc <1/2min(ax; by; cz) (3.6)
>
> So from manual and your answer , should I conclude that -d 1.0 nm
> distance is sufficient  ???
>
> if I using command genbox ..... -ci  -nmol ... , the molecule are going
> to put randomly ..
> In that case how to maintain  -d  .. ???
> I am in these confusion because of following reason .....
>
> I am try to put max molecule to study there interaction ...
>
>      I run simulation of 4 same  molecule keep apart in box
> of 4 4 4 dimension ..( 71 atom in one molecule = 71 * 4 = total atom are
> 284 )
> force field = gromacs96   53a6
>
> COM (center of mass) information of molecules
> system size :  1.255  1.577  1.883
> box vectors :  4.000   4.000   4.000 (nm)
>  mol1          : 2.057    0.844  0.744
>  mol 2          :  2.057  0.844  3.141
>  mol 3          : 2.057   3.244   0.744
>  mol 4          : 2.057   3.244   3.141
>
> (Four molecule are kept at the four corner of square
>  of each side 2.4 nm
>     four molecule are catenated in same pdb    )
>
>  my md.mdp input is like the ..
>
> ;Neighborsearching
> ns_type        = grid        ; search neighboring grid cells
> nstlist        = 5        ; 10 fs
> rlist        = 1.0        ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> rcoulomb    = 1.0        ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> rvdw        = 1.0        ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)

These settings are not correct for Gromos96 53a6.

> ; Electrostatics
> coulombtype    = PME        ; Particle Mesh Ewald for long-range
> electrostatics
> pme_order    = 4        ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing    = 0.16        ; grid spacing for FFT
>
> With  command  g_mindist    -pi
>  , select option - 1 (Protein )
> In the index file protein contain information on protein ...
> I got the following result..
>
> The shortest periodic distance is 0.141718 (nm) at time 7692 (ps),
> between atoms 26 and 111

Identify what atoms 26 and 111 are.  If they are part of the same molecule, then
yes, you have a problem.  It sounds to me like you have 4 separate molecules,
and 2 of them are at a very short distance in the starting configuration.  This
is not the same situation as when a molecule sees itself.  Whether or not this
is what you want for your simulation setup is up to you.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080