[gmx-users] help needed

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Mar 31 09:19:58 CEST 2012

On 31/03/2012 6:02 PM, oindrila das wrote:
> *SIMULATION OF LYSOZYME IN WATER USING GROMACS-4.0.5
> *
> STEP: TO NEUTRALIZE THE +8 CHARGE WITH 8 CL- MOLECULES*
>

> COMMAND GIVEN :
>
> [root at localhost gromacs-4.0.5]# genion -s ions.tpr -o
> 1AKI_solv_ions.gro -p topol.top -pname NA -nname CL -nn 8*
>                          :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:
>
>                GRoups of Organic Molecules in ACtion for Science
>
>                             :-)  VERSION 4.0.5  (-:
>

>       Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
>        Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
>              Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
>             check out http://www.gromacs.org <http://www.gromacs.org/>
> for more information.
>
>          This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>           modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>          as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
>              of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
>                                 :-)  genion  (-:
>
> Option     Filename  Type         Description
>   -s       ions.tpr  Input        Run input file: tpr tpb tpa
> -table    table.xvg  Input, Opt.  xvgr/xmgr file
>   -n      index.ndx  Input, Opt.  Index file
>   -o 1AKI_solv_ions.gro  Output       Structure file: gro g96 pdb
>   -g     genion.log  Output       Log file
> -pot        pot.pdb  Output, Opt. Protein data bank file
>   -p      topol.top  In/Out, Opt! Topology file
>
> Option       Type   Value   Description
> -[no]h       bool   no      Print help info and quit
> -nice        int    19      Set the nicelevel
> -[no]xvgr    bool   yes     Add specific codes (legends etc.) in the
> output
>                             xvg files for the xmgrace program
> -np          int    0       Number of positive ions
> -pname       string NA      Name of the positive ion
> -pq          int    1       Charge of the positive ion
> -nn          int    8       Number of negative ions
> -nname       string CL      Name of the negative ion
> -nq          int    -1      Charge of the negative ion
> -rmin        real   0.6     Minimum distance between ions
> -[no]random  bool   yes     Use random placement of ions instead of
> based on
>                             potential. The rmin option should still work
> -seed        int    1993    Seed for random number generator
> -scale       real   0.001   Scaling factor for the potential for -pot
> -conc        real   0       Specify salt concentration (mol/liter).
> This will
>                             add sufficient ions to reach up to the
> specified
>                             concentration as computed from the volume
> of the
>                             cell in the input tpr file. Overrides the
> -np and
>                             nn options.
> -[no]neutral bool   no      This option will add enough ions to neutralize
>                             the system. In combination with the
> concentration
>                             option a neutral system at a given salt
>                             concentration will be generated.

> [...]

What do you mean by "cannot be seen"? It can be seen above that genion
is writing a new version of topol.top. Use

diff topol.top #topol.top.2#

to see what it has done. Be sure that your input .top matches the input
.tpr on input, which won't be the case if you re-use the output as input
(e.g. by running genion twice).