[gmx-users] Re: Re: Pull code with pull_geometry = cylinder generates error: Distance of pull group 1 (4.030185 nm) is larger than 0.49 times the box size (3.012310)

Emma Eriksson emma.eriksson at chem.gu.se
Thu Nov 1 09:28:59 CET 2012

I have gone through the pull parameters in version 4.0 and 4.5 a bit more after our previous discussion and I have found the following related to the value of pull_init1.
pull_geometry = distance or direction generate the same distance at start with grompp no matter what value is set to pull_init1, and it is the same in version 4.0 as in 4.5. However, for pull_geometry = cylinder in version 4.5 I find that the measured distance at start varies with the value on pull_init1. For a molecule at distance -0.026 nm from the reference group (value from version 4.0) I obtain the following with grompp in version 4.5:

pull_init1 = 0 gives start distance -0.026
pull_init1 = 1 gives start distance -0.026
pull_init1 = 2 gives start distance 0.605
pull_init1 = 3 gives start distance 2.596
pull_init1 = 4 gives the error that the distance of the pull group is larger than 0.49 times the box size.

In version 4.0, all values of pull_init1 generate the distance at start = -0.026.
I will set pull_init1 to -0.026 or use pull_start = yes in this case and it would give the result that I want. From these findings I assumed that the value of pull_init1 was somehow added to the measured distance in version 4.5. However, for another system in which the distance between the groups is -2.996 nm, the following is obtained:

pull_init1 = 0 gives start distance -0.465
pull_init1 = 1 gives start distance 1.014
pull_init1 = 2 gives the error that the distance of the pull group is larger than 0.49 times the box size.
pull_init1 = 3 gives the error that the distance of the pull group is larger than 0.49 times the box size.
pull_init1 = 4 gives the error that the distance of the pull group is larger than 0.49 times the box size.

Here, pull_init1 = 3 can thus not be used; opposite to the previous case in which a value of pull_init1 close to the measured distance seemed to work. If I instead use pull_geometry = distance or direction all values of pull_init1 generate the error that the distance of the pull group is larger than 0.49 times the box size. In version 4.0, the value of pull_init1 does, again, not affect the distance at start. I interpret pull_init1 as the reference distance at start (i.e. the initial distance that I want to constrain as I am not pulling the molecule) and I thought that this should not affect the measured distance at start that grompp displays, at least that is what can be concluded from version 4.0. Could someone please help me to figure this out? Thanks.

Emma