[gmx-users] regarding converge of system

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:35:08 CET 2012

Hey :)

If I say something is commonly used, I don't mean that the usage is correct
:p Chris' answer is quite good though, and I can't add much more, except
maybe that the RMSD, being a distance, isn't a good indicator of
convergence, when it reaches the point of saying 'far away'. There's just
too much far away; the conformational space associated with an RMSD of 0.7
or more is huge! So if a structure stays at that distance, it may still be
flying around like there's no tomorrow. The convergence of the RMSD against
the average structure will be better, and so is the drift in the average
structure itself. Note though, that these may still show apparent (or
false) convergence if they stay in a particular region of conformational
space.

Cheers,

Tsjerk