[gmx-users] GPU warnings

Thomas Evangelidis tevang3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 00:03:27 CET 2012

Hi,

I get these two warnings when I run the dhfr/GPU/dhfr-solv-PME.bench
benchmark with the following command line:

mdrun_intel_cuda5 -v -s topol.tpr -testverlet

"WARNING: Oversubscribing the available 0 logical CPU cores with 1
thread-MPI threads."

0 logical CPU cores? Isn't this bizarre? My CPU is Intel Core i7-3610QM
(2.3 GHz). Unlike Albert, I don't see any performance loss, I get 13.4
ns/day on a single core with 1 GPU and 13.2 ns/day with GROMACS v4.5.5 on 4
cores (8 threads) without the GPU. Yet, I don't see any performance gain
with more that 4 -nt threads.

mdrun_intel_cuda5 -v -nt 2 -s topol.tpr -testverlet : 15.4 ns/day
mdrun_intel_cuda5 -v -nt 3 -s topol.tpr -testverlet : 16.0 ns/day
mdrun_intel_cuda5 -v -nt 4 -s topol.tpr -testverlet : 16.3 ns/day
mdrun_intel_cuda5 -v -nt 6 -s topol.tpr -testverlet : 16.2 ns/day
mdrun_intel_cuda5 -v -nt 8 -s topol.tpr -testverlet : 15.4 ns/day

I have also attached my log file (from "mdrun_intel_cuda5 -v -s topol.tpr
-testverlet") in case you find it helpful.

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas Evangelidis

PhD student