[gmx-users] Re: charge groups

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 6 14:34:48 CET 2012

On 11/6/12 6:56 AM, akn wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thank you for the answer.
>
> I'm using OPLS force field but I calculated the partial charges of the atoms
> from the HF geometry optimization.
>
> Do you have any idea if I should arrange the charge groups in this case or
> not?

My intuition says that a group-based approach is correct, not an atom-based
assignment.  Parameterization of the OPLS-AA force field was done using model
compounds that were then used as building blocks, so I believe that is where the
multi-atom charge groups (as implemented in Gromacs) come from.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080