[gmx-users] Protein at given pH

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Nov 7 15:55:52 CET 2012

Hi,

I've used the H++ server myself at times. My experience is that it's rather sensitive to the very fine detail of the input structure in some cases. I've had situations where H++ suggest one protonation state, then a short md simulation takes the system to a slightly different conformation that seem more prevalent but that yields another protonation state if sent to H++ again. Use all biochemical knowledge that you can muster to check that the output makes sense. Focus on residues that you suspect might be important for the overall question you address.

That said, pKa calculations are inherently difficult and can probably not be done reliably without lots of simulations. As such H++ probably come close to what we can currently accomplish within reasonable time for (nearly) static structures.

Best,

Erik