[gmx-users] problem with simulation of freezing of water

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Nov 11 22:06:03 CET 2012

The phase transition of water from liquid to ice is very hard to observe in MD simulations. In the lab you can in fact supercool water for minutes without ice forming until you trigger the phase transition by e.g. knocking the beaker or add nucleating agents. An MD simulation takes place on timescales that are maaaaany orders of magnitude shorter, so obtaining ice in simulations when starting form a liquid system seem as likely as winning a billion dollars and getting struck by lightning at the same time.

There are water models that nucleate much more easy than in experiments, which may be useful for you.

Best,

Erik