[gmx-users] calculating lennard-jones interaction

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Nov 13 22:13:36 CET 2012

Hi,

There is a net attractive force from vdw interactions beyond the cut-off, which can be corrected for analytically *in the case of a homogeneous system*. There is a slight artifact arising from the use of cut-offs for non-homogeneous systems such as a protein in water. Often the same corrections are used for non-homogeneous systems. It all boils down to what you want to measure, if those artifacts are large enough to ruin your investigations.

erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
http://www2.icm.uu.se/molbio/elflab/index.html