[gmx-users] Re: Umbrella sampling question

Gmx QA gmxquestions at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:44:22 CET 2012

Hi Erik,

Thank you for your answer.

I see your point now. Went and had a look in gmx_wham.c to see how things
are calculated, and that makes sense.

I was looking for an easy way of relating different parts of the resulting
PMF to my original starting frames, as a means to understand exactly what
the PMF is telling me, and I thought that by mapping distances in each
frame to entries in the profile.xvg-file, I could accomplish that. I see
that's not the case.

I am still learning Umbrella sampling and WHAM, and some of it I still do
not get fully. For example, how best (or easiest) to relate (a) events and
structures in individual frames (or in the pulling simulation) to (b) the
pull force vs time plot and (c) the PMF-plot.

Thanks
/PK