[gmx-users] Re: Umbrella sampling question

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Nov 16 11:03:02 CET 2012

Hi,

Blindly defining the center of mass for a group of atoms is not possible in a periodic system such as a typical simulation box. You need some clue as to which periodic copy of every atom that is to be chosen. By providing pull_pbcatom0 you tell gromacs to, for every atom in grp0, use the periodic copy closest to the atom given by pull_pbcatom0. If you have large pullgroups this is necessary to define the inter-group distance in a way that makes sense. If you get different results depending on that setting you really need to figure out which atom is a good center for your calculations. The default behavior is to use the atom whose *index* is in the center of the group. If you for example have a dimeric protein this may correspond to the C-terminus of the first chain or the N-terminus of the second one, which in turn often doesn't coincide with the geometrical center of the group. I suggest you try yet another choice of pull_pbcatom0 that is also close to the center to see if that also give rise to a different distance. As mentioned, the choice of pull_pbcatom0 should not matter as long as the choice allows to figure out how to handle the periodicity.

Best,

Erik