[gmx-users] Re: Strange form of RDF curve

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Tue Nov 20 15:01:15 CET 2012

The rdf should not depend on the choice 'which is group A and which is
group B'! Not if the system is well equilibrated and not if you consider
only a single snapshot (in that case the rdf looks like garbage if the
system is not really huge, but the RDF(A-B) and RDF(B-A) must be the same).

I mean the the RDF is the radial distribution function. A distribution
about distances, and in distances one has no information about
direction, or from which point one goes to another.
In an A and B system one has N_A * N_B distances, no matter if A or B is
the reference!

Going to the manual the given equation for the RDF is

g(r) = 1/rho_B 1/N_A sum_A sum_B delta(r_AB - r) / (4pi r^2)

Since after the sums it is clear that there is no difference between A
and B one could argue that

1/rho_B 1/N_A is not equal to 1/rho_A 1/N_B

looking into the picture which defines rho one recognises that rho=N/V

-> g_AB(r) = g_BA(r)