[gmx-users] Query about GPU version of Gromacs

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 16:27:15 CET 2012

Hi,

The GPU functionality available in GROMACS 4.5 based on OpenMM is likely to
be deprecated because we lack the resources to continue to support it - as
you can see from the limited documentation you can see for it on our
website. I would advise against attempting to build or use anything other
than an official GROMACS release.

The good news is that the upcoming GROMACS 4.6 release will have native GPU
support for a much larger range of algorithms than have been available
previously. Unfortunately, we still can't provide a timeline for that
release yet. Portability, reliability, high performance and rapid
time-to-market tend to be mutually exclusive, I'm afraid!

Mark