[gmx-users] On the usage of SD integrator as the thermostat

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 28 15:45:24 CET 2012

By 'proper dynamics' I mean the correct dynamics. For example, if a simulation with the SD integrator indicates that loop1 folds before loop2 folds, then this might be incorrect. The state information will be correct in velocity Langevin dynamics but the dynamic information might be incorrect.

The advantage of the SD integrator over the Berendsen thermostat is that you get the correct ensemble. Check out papers by Garcia in relation to the flying ice cube problem and lipid bilayers. Is the same thing true for Nose-Hoover? I am not sure, but I am sure that you can find out. I recall hearing that the Nose-Hoover thermostat is very sensitive to propagating and magnifying temperature fluctuations.

Chris.