[gmx-users] Potential energy from a previous configuration mismatch

juan-manuel.castillo at mv.uni-kl.de juan-manuel.castillo at mv.uni-kl.de
Thu Nov 29 15:59:01 CET 2012

Dear Gromacs friends,

I am running some simulations of a hexane/ethanol mixture
in a box, using a United-Atom OPLS model. My Gromacs
version is the 4.5.5.

I fill the simulation box with genbox (I have also used an
equilibrated pdb file generated by other simulation code),
and I run a energy minimization simulation, wich gives the
following energies for the final configuration:

    Energies (kJ/mol)
           Angle   Fourier Dih.          LJ-14
    Coulomb-14        LJ (SR)
     6.62915e+00    5.17493e+02   -2.61388e+01
   0.00000e+00   -4.01422e+03
   Disper. corr.   Coulomb (SR)       RF excl.
     Potential Pres. DC (bar)
    -9.65799e+01    0.00000e+00    0.00000e+00
  -3.61282e+03    0.00000e+00

Potential Energy  = -3.6128213e+03
Maximum force     =  2.7169607e+01 on atom 541
Norm of force     =  3.9986315e+00

I take the final configuration, and using exactly the same
force field definition and simulation parameters (cutoff
radious, electrostatic method, etc), I start a molecular
dynamics simulation in the NVE ensemble. No matter what I
do, I always have a blow-up problem. I have checked all
the points that could be giving the problem, in particular
the ones given here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up

and I have also tried to modify one by one different
parameters, but I never succeed to obtain a running
simulation. I have seen that I always have a much larger
energy at the beginning of the simulation than the energy
at the end of the minimization:

    Energies (kJ/mol)
           Angle   Fourier Dih.          LJ-14
    Coulomb-14        LJ (SR)
     5.43743e+04    2.06120e+03    6.02532e+01
   0.00000e+00    1.62817e+07
   Disper. corr.   Coulomb (SR)       RF excl.
     Potential    Kinetic En.
    -9.65799e+01    0.00000e+00    0.00000e+00
   1.63381e+07    1.65906e+10
    Total Energy    Temperature Pres. DC (bar) Pressure
(bar)   Constr. rmsd
     1.66069e+10

but the potential energy should be exactly the same in
both cases, as it only depends on the atomic positions.
Anybody can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks