[gmx-users] Does GPU support ATI card?

Albert mailmd2011 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 18:51:18 CET 2012

On 11/29/2012 06:44 PM, Szilárd Páll wrote:
> Hi Albert,
>
> That claim is false. The current mdrun-opnemm version only supports the
> CUDA OpenMM plugin and even that is not fully supported as we don't have
> enough resources to maintain the code.
>
> We will make sure to get the false claim of ATI GPU support removed from
> the OpenMM website.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Szilárd
>
> PS: we are looking for volunteers to maintain the Gromacs OpenMM
> integration and in the lack of such people we will have to resort to
> dropping OpenMM support post-4.6.

Hello Szilard:

   thanks for kind comments. If there are not so much people use openMM,
probably you can consider give it up. Currently I am using NVIDIA GTX590
GPU acceleration with Gromacs4.6 without openMM support, and it works
fine (I did some tests comparing with CPU running results for my
system). If I were you, I will save my time and energy focus on current
version and road.

I am asking if it support ATI just because I've got a stupid MAC Pro
machine these days, and it claimed to have a very good ATI GPU, so I
just wondering if it could support ATI GPU accelerations. It since that,
almost all MD tools only support NVIDIA GPU.....

best
Albert